Saturday, August 16, 2008

Kitchen Blues


So I’ve been thinking about replacing my severely outdated kitchen appliances. I already replaced the fridge with a white Kenmore. So I’m thinking the logical thing would be to go with other white appliances. Right now the ones I have are all a chocolate brown, from mid 70’s probably, and the sink even matches. Lately the stove has been taking forever to light, and when it does, it goes “whomp”. It’s gas, by the way. Scared me when I was in the kitchen doing dishes and forgot I had turned it on – I think the door kinda blew open a bit. I’ve used it since, and it’s done that again, but the LAST time I used it, after I turned it on I went back to the bedroom to sort laundry or something and I swear, I thought someone slammed the back door. It went “kaWHOMP” and rattled the dishes I have hanging on the wall. So now I’m scared to use it.

I’ve been shopping around, looking at mostly Sears since I have some gift cards for Sears from Mypoints and Discovercard. And they have gas ovens. Did I mention it’s a wall oven and cooktop which costs like DOUBLE what a range does? Grrrr…. And they have white gas ovens. But you know what? All the ovens nowadays are electronic lighting, and electronic displays. And you know what electronics need? Electricity. My kitchen has 4 outlets in it, one of which is occupied by the fridge and dishwasher, and one of which is by the stupid narrow counter, which I think is supposed to have like barstools on the other side. It’s useless. That outlet is occupied by phone and microwave. So that leaves me two available outlets. You’d think this kitchen was built in the 1800’s instead of the 1960’s. They did have blenders and mixers and toasters in the 60’s, didn’t they??? Grrrr…. All of which brings me to the fact that I so seriously doubt that this kitchen of mine has an outlet where the oven is, which means if I buy a new oven and stovetop, I’m going to have to get an electrician in. And since it's gas, the fittings probably need to be replaced too.

Maybe I’ll just call a repairman and fix the oven. Because it is almost an antique. And I'll buy a dishwasher instead. A white one. From Sears.

Don't you love the modern look of this Caloric Ultramatic? :)

2 comments:

matchbox20girl said...

Hmm...I'm vaguely familiar with the "WHOOMP!!" sound, but I agree...maybe it's better off replaced, or at least repaired. And brown isn't a BAD color, per say...it *could* be harvest gold, or avacado green. Nice!

Lisa said...

Appliance repair guy is coming next week. That means I get to clean the kitchen good. Haha.